Wichita Home

All About Wichita and Wichita Real Estate

Getting The Fireplace ready

It’s getting close to time to start thinking about firing up the fireplace, if you haven’t already.Fireplace

My friend in Wichita Kansas wrote me a note today telling me of problems with his sealed artificial log  gas fireplace in his home.  It would start up, burn for a few minutes then die out. The pilot light remained lit.

So he had a repairman come out. His unit had a condition called ghosting. It wasn’t getting  air.

Turns out a bird had built a nest in the exhaust vent! The combustion air comes from outside the house and was being blocked. Cost him a hundred bucks. Maybe he saved you the same.

Check your vents and chimneys for obstructions before using your fireplace this season, be it gas or a wood burner.

It’s always a good idea to have the chimney “sweeped” if you haven’t in while. Creosote, a highly combustible product, can build up in your chimney. Creosote is caused by the flu gas, or smoke, traveling up a relatively cool chimney where it condensates. The carbon based condensation that materializes in the flue is creosote.

Creosote in your chimney can catch fire….and that’s never a good thing.  So be pro-active, be safe and do proper maintenance on your fireplace this season.

November 18, 2012 Posted by | Uncategorized | , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

   

%d bloggers like this: