Wichita Home

All About Wichita and Wichita Real Estate

Getting The Fireplace ready

It’s getting close to time to start thinking about firing up the fireplace, if you haven’t already.Fireplace

My friend in Wichita Kansas wrote me a note today telling me of problems with his sealed artificial log  gas fireplace in his home.  It would start up, burn for a few minutes then die out. The pilot light remained lit.

So he had a repairman come out. His unit had a condition called ghosting. It wasn’t getting  air.

Turns out a bird had built a nest in the exhaust vent! The combustion air comes from outside the house and was being blocked. Cost him a hundred bucks. Maybe he saved you the same.

Check your vents and chimneys for obstructions before using your fireplace this season, be it gas or a wood burner.

It’s always a good idea to have the chimney “sweeped” if you haven’t in while. Creosote, a highly combustible product, can build up in your chimney. Creosote is caused by the flu gas, or smoke, traveling up a relatively cool chimney where it condensates. The carbon based condensation that materializes in the flue is creosote.

Creosote in your chimney can catch fire….and that’s never a good thing.  So be pro-active, be safe and do proper maintenance on your fireplace this season.

November 18, 2012 Posted by | Uncategorized | , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Is Your Fireplace Ready?

It’s getting close to time to start thinking about firing up the fireplace, if you haven’t already.

My friend in Wichita Kansas wrote me a note today telling me of problems with his sealed artificial log  gas fireplace in his home.  It would start up, burn for a few minutes then die out. The pilot light remained lit.

So he had a repairman come out. His unit had a condition called ghosting. It wasn’t getting  air.

Turns out a bird had built a nest in the exhaust vent! The combustion air comes from outside the house and was being blocked. Cost him a hundred bucks. Maybe he saved you the same.

Check your vents and chimneys for obstructions before using your fireplace this season, be it gas or a wood burner.

October 30, 2010 Posted by | Uncategorized | , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Deadly Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide gas, also known as the “silent killer,” is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and extremely toxic gas.  It can poison the body gradually in low doses or quickly when it is highly concentrated.

It reduces the body’s ability to transport oxygen in blood.  Blood without oxygen is useless.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide inhalations are flu-like and include: headaches, dizziness, burning eyes, drowsiness, and loss of consciousness.  Cases of severe inhalation may result in brain damage or death.

All dwellings should be equipped with a carbon monoxide alarm.  Make sure that your detector meets the specifications of the Underwriters Laboratories UL 2034 standard. Some states, like California for one, have adopted laws requiring homes to have carbon monoxide detectors. Although nothing has been passed in Wichita or Kansas yet it’s sure to be nation wide someday soon.

Carbon monoxide, unlike smoke, does not rise, but rather mixes with air. Detectors, therefore should be placed at waist level in areas that receive undisrupted airflow, and are close to sleeping areas.

It’s also very important to make sure all fireplaces, furnaces and other fuel burning devices are properly ventilated.

There are  portable detectors for traveling and detectors that can be installed in your vehicle.  Check today and make sure your home has a carbon monoxide detector and if you don’t get one! It’s a cheap way to stay alive.

July 6, 2010 Posted by | Home, kansas, Uncategorized, Wichita | , , , , , | 1 Comment

   

%d bloggers like this: